new year. new you. 2018
The passing of another year always brings out the slightly rueful and melancholic in me. Being on this planet two score and fifteen has hopefully imparted something that may occasionally be mistaken for wisdom and here are some musings I’ve collected en-route:
- Your health, and that of those closest to you, is all that matters.
- If you are fortunate enough to find true love, don’t lose it.
- Friends will see you through dark times. Thank them, get drunk with them and make sure you pop in for a cuppa.
- Buy a diary and organise yourself. There’s good reason.
- Diets don’t work so have the sense to realise the days of eating unlimited quantities of fried, salty and deliciously sweet food with gay abandon must stop before you reach thirty. Both years and stones.
- Technology will be twice as expensive and half the benefit. At best. Furthermore, there’s nothing social about media.
- Talking to strangers is great fun and will always yield surprises. If you don’t ask, you don’t get.
- You’re going to spend most of your life working so it’ll help if you find something you almost enjoy.
- When you’re not working you’re sleeping so invest in a decent bed and take to it at every opportunity. Use it or lose it.
- Save as much as you can for rainy days are on the horizon and you don’t want to be old & cold.
- Exercise is ace. Do it every day.
- Read. It’s exercise for the mind.
- Smile. It keeps everyone wondering what you’re up to. We also grow into the face we deserve.
- Cook, don’t reheat and drink beer. Everything in moderation. Including moderation.
- Appreciate value not price and never mistake money for intelligence.
- Forgiveness isn’t weakness. And as Noel & Liam preached, if not exactly practiced, ‘Don’t Look Back in Anger’.
- Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes, then at least you’ll have a good head-start on them.
- Deep down, we’re all painfully flawed, massively insecure and majorly f*cked-up. Please be patient and get comfortable in your own skin.
Raise a glass and here’s to 2018. HNY.